We’ve compiled the top Node.js interview questions for you. These questions will help further assess both the technical and behavioral skills of your potential Node.js developers.
Applicant assessment is a critical part of the recruitment process. This rings true for both the employer and the job candidate. During the interview, the employer can ask questions to screen for the required skills. At the same time, the candidate gains the opportunity to showcase their experience and knowledge.
The interview round is crucial when hiring for positions that require highly technical skills. This applies when you look for Node.js developers. As Node.js is one of the most popular server-side platforms today, developers need specific skill sets to maximize its use. Furthermore, finding developers these days has become quite challenging.
Hence, it is critical to know what your project needs in order to recruit the right talent successfully. This article lists ten of the top Node.js interview questions to help you further evaluate your applicants. But before that, let’s briefly take a look at what Node.js development is and who Node.js developers are.
When it comes to changes and updates, developers can quickly make them using the platform. As a result, Node.js helps your business deliver your products quicker.
Roles and Responsibilities of Node.js Developers
Node.js developers are in charge of server-side coding. They take care of developing all the system components on the back-end side. In addition, these developers support the front-end developers by integrating their works into the system.
The following are the general tasks taken on by Node.js developers:
- Designing, developing, and maintaining all server-side components
- Ensure that the central database is at optimal performance
- Guarantee that all front-end requests are responsive
- Collaborate with front-end developers to integrate elements
- Developing back-end services
- Writing reusable, testable, and efficient code to build applications
- Take charge of implementing measures for data protection, security, and storage
- Schedule and run diagnostic tests to repair errors and technical support
- Write documentation of the Node.js process and provide timely reports
- Be constantly informed and updated about the latest advancements in Node.js development
Click here to get a more in-depth description of what Node.js developers do.
Skills Requirements for Node.js Developers
As the recruiter, you need to make sure that you recruit the right talent. To do that, you need to check for the following skills from the applicants:
- Degree or certificate in IT, computer science, or any related field
- Knowledgeable in HTML5, CSS, and other front-end technologies
- Experience in RESTful APIs and API communications
- Must have the ability to write efficient, organized, and reusable code
- Expert in handling errors and data protection
- Can design database schemes
- Analytical and problem-solver
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Organized with excellent time management skills
- Willingness to learn
These are just some of the technical and management skills you have to look for in an applicant. However, you can’t check these skills by looking at a candidate’s resume or portfolio. For this reason, inviting them for an interview is crucial before hiring them.
Top Node.js Interview Questions
After a thorough screening process, you should have a shortlist of qualified Node.js developers. The next step will be to invite them for an interview. These Node.js interview questions will help further evaluate each candidate’s skills, knowledge, and fit.
1. What is Node.js?
The first question should be easy. It will help the applicants feel at ease to answer more technical questions later on. Still, even experienced developers may not be able to explain Node.js in simple terms adequately. Therefore, you should pay attention to how they explain as this is a sign of their communication skills.
It is a server-side scripting platform for building scalable programs. Node.js has many advantages over other server-side scripting languages, such as non-blocking I/O.
2. Why use Node.js over other frameworks?
This question will serve as a follow-up question to the first one. It will allow the applicant to expand their knowledge of Node.js.
Node.js is very popular for many reasons. First, it is very simple and easy to use. Its response time is also speedy due to its non-blocking I/O and event-based model features. Additionally, it is very reliable in performance because it is built on Google Chrome V8 Engine.
3. Explain event-driven programming.
Node.js developers should know the importance of event-driven programming. They should be able to answer this question with ease as it is one of the strengths of Node.js.
As the name suggests, it is programming by triggering functions through events. For example, we can program an app to do specific functions based on what users do. The app can execute a process when a user clicks a button or press a particular key. This makes Node.js a fast development option.
4. How do you handle async callbacks in Node.js?
This is a question to check the technical knowledge of a candidate. Their answers should prove they are technically capable of using Node.js.
In Node, we use an event loop to handle async callbacks. Plus, we should assign listeners to events to be able to execute callbacks.
5. What do you do to avoid callback hell?
Callback hell is a nightmare for Node.js developers. Hence, they should have ways to avoid experiencing these incidents.
I learned that using Async-Await, Async.js, and Promises helps me manage JS asynchronous implications.
6. What is an exit code in Node.js? Can you name some of them?
This is another question to check on an applicant’s Node.js knowledge. They should be able to name some of these codes.
To put it simply, developers use exit codes to explain the termination of specific processes. For example, Code-1 explains that a fatal error occurred and was not handled. Meanwhile, Code-5 tells the developers that there is an error in V8, which can be fatal.
7. What was the most challenging project for you?
Ask this question to check on the applicant’s experience. This question will allow them to share their most challenging experience as a Node.js developer. You should pay attention to how they handled the said project.
8. Walk me through your process of starting a Node.js project.
Organization and knowing which tasks to prioritize are much-needed skills for Node.js developers. They should be able to identify which objectives need to be accomplished first to help the project move along.
9. How do you feel about testing your own code?
The best developers know the importance of checking and debugging their work before submitting them. They feel responsible for making sure that their code follows the defined standards and procedures. Moreover, they should know that submitting error-ridden code can only delay the project’s fulfillment.
10. How do you keep yourself abreast with the latest advancements in Node.js development?
Another trait of successful developers is their willingness to continually learn. They constantly seek new information so that they can improve their skills. Developers usually do this by joining online forums and communities.
Make your screening process count by asking these Node.js interview questions. You can ask more detailed questions to assess the applicants’ skills further.
Hire the Best Node.js Developers!
Let us take care of the hassle of screening and interviewing Node.js applicants for you. At Full Scale, we have a talented pool of Node.js developers who have the skills and attitude to help your project succeed.
Our recruitment and guided development programs ensure that we only hire the best developers. We do this to make sure that you will only get to work with the best talent.